17 January 2008

Jesus' Submission and Obedience

I was just reading the Bible in Hebrews chapter 5, verses 7 and 8.

It just struck me how God says that Jesus, in referring to his prayers while alive on the earth, "was heard because of his reverent submission." I have been thinking, reading, studying a lot about prayer recently and have wreslted with this idea of "has God heard me." And God clearly says that He hears our prayers offered in the name of Jesus.

But, here - this idea of 'reverent submission' is so important. Quite frankly, the main motivation in most of my praying about getting 100% of our support so that we can go to Lima is because I'm impatient. I'm done waiting. I'm tired and worn out and want this chapter to close so that we can move on.

;( Sad, isn't it? What I've just described isn't even close to 'reverent submission' is it? I'm just so unwilling to submit with great respect to God Almighty's plan for us when it comes to fundraising and when we get 100% and when we go, etc., etc., etc. I'm so sorry, Father.

I'm thankful that He treats me, us, with a richness of grace and forgiveness and love! I would be so "dead in the water" if He didn't. I'm thankful that I know He is committed to us (just as He's committed to you) to mold and shape our inner being, so that we are continually changing to be more and more just like Jesus. (See Romans 8:29 and 2 Corinthians 3:18.)

Wow.

Just in the simple act of writing this post God's encouraged my heart. When I started writing I was so heavy hearted and down. But, getting to the part about His grace and love and forgiveness just reminded me of those things and lifted my heart! God is so good. What a great Father!

No comments: